Why would you need this app ? Well it's simple: spydroid is the perfect ingredient for an infinit number of pranks. Consider it as a way to see and hear wilst remaining unnoticed ! Will you use it for good (for the sake of fun), or for evil ?? That choice belongs to you...
Plus, to surprise your victim, you can remotly start funny sounds on your phone or toggle its flash !
There are two ways to use Spydroid !
- The first one is to simply open a modern browser on your PC and to type the IP of your phone in the address bar. Further explanations will be displayed when you launch Spydroid...
- The second one is to directly use VLC. Here are more detailled explanations:
Here is a quick explanation of what to do to catch the stream in VLC (and see what your phone's camera sees):
1) Make sure both your phone and your pc are connected on the same wireless network
2) Start spydroid
3) Open VLC on your pc and press Ctrl+N, in the dialog box copy out the following line: "rtsp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8086/" where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP of your phone.
4) Wait a little & have fun...
Many settings are available !
- You can enable/disable sound or video streaming
- You can configure the stream quality in the option menu: the resolution, the bitrate and the framerate of the stream can be configured
- You can turn the flash on remotly !
- You can choose between the back facing camera and the front facing camera (if your phone has one)
- All those settings can be modified at will remotly ! (Check the cool stuff section of this page: http://code.google.com/p/spydroid-ipcamera/)
So What if it works ?
Go here : http://code.google.com/p/spydroid-ipcamera/wiki/SupportedDevices and post a short message telling me that spydroid works on your phone. Indicate your phone name (for example galaxy SII), your android version and the version of spydroid you're using. If you're kind enough, test both h.263 and h.264 (you can choose between those two in the option menu) and tell me which is working.
What if it doesn't work at all (nothing happens on both VLC AND your phone) ?
Double check that your pc and your phone are both connected to the same network ! You should see messages like "Connection from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" written on your phone when you click the play button in VLC.
What if video freezes or is too chopy ?
Here is what you can try:
1) Go in the option menu & disable sound streaming & try again
2) Go in the option menu, switch video compression method to h.263 & try again
If the stream quality is still awfull, well you're out of luck, spydroid doesn't support your phone !
Visit http://code.google.com/p/spydroid-ipcamera/ for further information !
Note that this app is almost completly open source so don't hesitate to checkout the svn repository if you're a developer :) I have tried to make my code as clear as possible.
Also, feel free to give me some feedback on the google code page :)